Pages

.

Make a Vintage Button Wind Chime

Creating a button wind chime is a charming way to use old buttons.  If you like to sew or if you are a pack-rat, you probably have an assortment of salvaged buttons just waiting for a project like this.  Making a button wind chime is easy and fun using items that you already have!


Most of the buttons I used for my project came from my grandmother.  I inherited her sewing machine and assorted sewing notions.  She passed away twelve years ago and I've held onto everything.  I'm always on the lookout for unique ways to repurpose Grandma's things. 

Grandma always stocked up when she found a good deal.

The buttons that I used for my wind chime came from this collection of salvaged buttons that my grandmother saved from her worn out garments.

I decided to use fishing line to string the buttons and sinkers to weight them down.

I had leftover crafting wire from a Christmas project that I used to craft the top of my wind chime.  A canning jar ring made a fine hoop to attach the strands of buttons to.



Pay attention to the warning on the sinker package!  I wouldn't handle lead if I were pregnant, nor would I let a child handle it.

I made several knots just to be extra sure the sinker wouldn't slip off.


I made my wind chime with seven strands of various lengths. Fasten them to the ring being sure to secure well.  I wrapped my strands around the ring several times before I tied the knots.  Be sure to leave enough excess line to make several knots on each line.


Use your imagination when stringing your buttons.  It's okay if the buttons touch.  Your wind chime will make more noise that way!

Also, add beads and any other items you have on hand to make your wind chime more interesting. 

~ For more do-it-yourself project ideas check out the following ~

Recycled Crafts Box 

No comments:

Post a Comment