Pages

.

Updates on ALL My Homemade Cleaning Supplies




A little over two months ago, I began a quest to find homemade cleaning supplies.  I wanted to give an update on how these concoctions are working for me.  
Some recipes I am still thrilled with, some....not so much....




~ The first recipe that I made was homemade laundry detergent.  I have now made my third batch (just yesterday).  I am absolutely thrilled with this recipe!  It cleans every bit as well as any commercial detergent I've purchased and the money savings is HUGE. 

One recipe makes 2 gallons which is just the right amount of detergent to wash all of our laundry for a month.  We are a family of eight PLUS we have a daycare.  One recipe costs $1.40 (or $0.69 per gallon).  For an average sized family I would think this recipe would make enough to last at least 2 months. 




~ The next recipe that I tried was homemade fabric softener. Although the softener softened and reduced static cling, it didn't have a strong enough scent for me and was very watery.  I felt that it took up a lot of space in my laundry room cabinet.  So I discontinued using it and came up with a slightly different version of my own.



~ The slightly different version was a little more concentrated and definitely had a stronger scent.  I really liked it as it works and is very economical.  I would probably continue to use it however........our two year baby doll started to break out in hives.  We aren't sure that it is the softener but to err on the side of caution, I wanted to stop using softener all together.  

~ Now, to soften and ELIMINATE static cling, I am using 2 tightly rolled up balls (approximately the size of a golf ball) in the dryer.  I simply throw the balls into the dryer with the wet clean clothing and press start!  For a family with sensitive skin, I would promote this as a PERFECT softening and static cling reducer!  I found this information on Fake It Frugal



~ Next, I made homemade orange peel scouring powder.  I liked the concept and the cost savings.  It smells lovely but works only moderately well with a LOT of elbow grease.  It did take stains such as coffee and tea out of my sink but didn't take the pan scratches out.  I would use this scouring powder as a back up or on pans, but I am back to using my Comet. 


~ The Truly Amazing Dishwasher Detergent was what I thought would be my biggest discovery.  I was intensely happy with the clean state of my dishes after using this recipe.  No spots, no film, just clean dishes.  For about a month, I thought I'd found the magic bullet of dishwasher detergent.  Then for some unknown reason, my dishes began to have a slight film on them, and much to my dismay....my glasses had SPOTS!!!! 

I found a reasonable solution by filling only one of the detergent dispensers, the pre-wash dispenser.  As long as I do this AND remember to use vinegar as a rinse aid, my dishes are coming out acceptably clean.  I am speculating that by filling both compartments, I was just using too much.  My little "cheapie" dishwasher didn't have adequate time to rinse the last detergent application off. 

I did purchase some citric acid (Lemi-shine, I believe) and will add a little to the mix next time (as indicated in the recipe that I found on DIY Natural). 

All in all, I'm still happy with the effectiveness and cost savings and will continue to use the dishwasher detergent.  I just might not call it "Truly Amazing".  Perhaps, "Effective and Inexpensive" would be a more fitting name.



~ Lastly, I made a Vinegar Orange Peel Household Cleaner.  It was simple to make, inexpensive and really seemed to work equally well on all surfaces, including glass. 

After using it for several weeks, I have come to the conclusion that it is a keeper!  It still cleans glass (including windows), surfaces and has a nice (orange and vinegar) smell!  I like that it is safe enough to drink, especially since I have small children.  I will probably still use bleach to clean toilets but this all purpose cleaner is great for many other things.  I think it would be effective as a vegetable wash and even as a rinse aid in the dishwasher. 

I hope this update is helpful.  There are links to the original articles within my reviews and I'll be sure to place a link in the original postings to this update.

No comments:

Post a Comment