Pages

.

How to Really Get Rid of Acne Scars

As many of you may know, I've struggled with acne since I began having children.  I've shared with you how I banished acne from my face (see A Truly Amazing Acne Treatment).  Now I want to tell you how I got rid of those years and years worth of acne scars.  A glycolic acid skin peel once a week for several months resurfaced my skin into a smoother, scar-free complexion.  I considered
many options when researching how to get rid of my scarring.  Other than surgical procedures, a peel was the most viable option for me.  There are many peel products on the market. But most seemed ineffective (based on reviews) or only available at salons or dermatologists.


Salon skin peel treatments are effective and offer a wide variety of types but knew I wouldn't be able to afford the treatment on an ongoing basis ($50 - $100 per peel).  I searched around and decided to buy a strong glycolic acid solution from a supplier and do the peel myself at home.  Although many recommendations were to go with a weaker strength (30% or lower), I wanted the same strength that spas use (70%).   

The product I chose is (1 oz / 30 ml) GLYCOLIC Acid 70% Skin Chemical Peel - Unbuffered - Alpha Hydroxy (AHA) For Acne, Oily Skin, Wrinkles, Blackheads, Large Pores & More (from Skin Beauty Solutions).  It has good reviews and is priced at $14.99. Glycolic acid is reportedly good for both acne and wrinkles alike! Not a bad combination for a 40 something year old with both acne scars and fine lines! 


I purchased the 1 oz. bottle in November 2011 and still have several uses left.  It is very economical.  You only need a few drops per peel, especially if you use your finger to apply rather than a gauze pad.


I just followed the instructions in the packaging and left it on until I started seeing redness(for only a minute or so) then followed directions for rinsing.  An invaluable tip included in the instructions was to prepare a baking soda water solution to neutralize the acid once you are done with the peel.  It works and I was thankful to have it handy.  Each week I was able to leave the product on longer (up to 8 minutes).

If you choose to treat your acne scarring or wrinkles with a glycolic acid peel you will want to follow the directions and be cautious until you know how your skin will react.  The time you should leave on will vary based on your skin type and sensitivity.  

Please note, it is possible to blister your skin.  This isn't a  weak AHA lotion that you can buy in the drugstore. 
I can't stress enough that this product is the real thing.  You will want to store it as you would a dangerous chemical, especially if you have children.  

Just use caution and common sense if you decide to do it yourself at home.  And don't forget to wear sunscreen! Done properly you can have a beautiful clear complexion AND save yourself a ton of money. 


If you liked this article, be sure to subscribe so you won't miss out on future helpful tips and tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment