Pages

.

Homemade Orange Peel Scouring Powder


 
My mom sent me a link to a homemade grapefruit peel scouring powder.  I didn't have grapefruit but I do have a ton of oranges right now.  So, I thought I'd put my own spin on it. 


The link to the original is on Crunchy Betty's site which you can check out here - http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-great-grapefruit-scouring-scrub

(Click HERE for updates/reviews on all my homemade cleaners)

For some good information on homemade cleaning supplies check out the following -

The Naturally Clean Home: 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning

Homemade: How-to Make Hundreds of Everyday Products Fast, Fresh, and More Naturally

Here is my stab at a scouring powder -


1) Cut up the peel of two oranges - let dry until brittle
 


2) It will take a day or two to let the peel dry. 
When done it will look something like this....
 


3) Grind peel in your coffee grinder
or food processor until soft and powdery.
 



4) Mix 1/3 cup each of 1) orange peel,
 2) borax, 3) baking soda and 4) washing soda
  


5) Poke holes in a canning jar lid to make a shaker top
 


6) I soaked my sink in coffee to get it really stained up
 


7) I scrubbed for a minute or two and rinsed clean

My opinion of this scrub - 
I liked the way it cleaned the stains up,
even though it took a little more
elbow grease than Comet or Ajax would have. 
I did notice that the grayish scratches
from pans didn't completely come off. 

I would definitely encourage you
 to try this recipe if you would like
 to save a little money and
use simple household ingredients that you have handy.

I'm going to give Crunchy Betty's recipe a try as well.
  It differs in proportions and doesn't include washing soda.
  I'd love to hear from you if you've made her recipe!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment