Pages

.

Save Money By Starting Your Tomatoes From Seed - It's Easy!


I am so excited!  That precious moment that I look forward to each year has arrived.  I have tomato seedlings sprouting! 

Starting Seeds Couldn't Be Easier!



Several weeks ago I planted my saved seeds from our last garden. 

1) I used organic potting soil to fill up my peat pots.  For my tomatoes I like to use the medium sized pots.  I think this allows the root system to grow and the plants to get larger at a faster rate.  In the past, I've used the smaller pots  and the plants seemed stunted even though I'd planted them 8 weeks  prior to transplanting to the garden.

2) I planted 4 tomato seeds in each pot.  This amount is probably over-kill but I'm always anxious that the seeds  might not germinate.  The germination rate of my saved seeds seems to be 90% to 95%.
 
3) Then I put the pots in a warm location  (my kitchen) to germinate.   I made sure to give them a gentle watering each day, just enough to keep the soil damp.
 
4) Once the seedlings pop through the soil, I move them to a sunnier location in my house.
 
5) I will continue to keep the soil damp and make sure my babies get plenty of sun over the next 6 to 8 weeks.  I've planted 40 pots with 4 seeds each.  When the seedlings have finished emerging, I will watch them for a few days and thin them down
to the strongest in each pot.  

To see the thinning process read Thinning Tomato Seedlings

A Time To Plant

It's important to keep in mind that while tomatoes need a long growing season, they will not set fruit when night time temperatures are below 60 degrees F or above 75 degrees F.  This a very compelling reason to time the planting and transplanting just right for your zone. 

If you wait too long to get your plants out into the garden, you may not have your tomatoes fruiting until nearly fall. 

How Much Should You Plant?

Since we consume a lot of tomatoes, I plant at least 5 plants per adult (or larger child) and 3 plants per smaller child.   If you plan on canning tomatoes, as we do, I would recommend nothing less than these amounts.  Adjust these amounts based on your family's personal preference.



What Type of Seeds Should You Plant?

You can purchase hybrid seeds but I strongly suggest you purchase heirloom seeds.  Heirloom seeds are usually no more expensive than the hybrid varieties but they will save you money in the long run.  You can save your heirloom seeds from some of your harvest and use them to plant your garden for FREE next year!

You can find heirloom seeds and starting supplies
at the following sources ~

15 Pack 3-Inch Round Peat Pots (Bonus Pack) # FR312B

Jiffy 5444 4-Inch Seed Start Pots, 6-Count

Ferry Morse Heirloom Tomato Collection

Black Krim Tomato 30 Seeds - Russian Heirloom

Beefsteak Tomato Heirloom Certified Organic Seeds





No comments:

Post a Comment