Pages

.

How Much Do We Really Need?

Lately I find myself looking at my belongings and wondering how much stuff I really need. 


What's in your closet?
 
Bathroom cabinet - look at all that junk!




















My closet is full of clothes and yet I wear only a third of them on  a regular basis.  I have tons of shoes (mostly hand-me-downs) but I only wear three different pair on a regular basis. 


Medicine cabinet above my bathroom sink
Clutter!!!
My bathroom cabinet has lots of skin care and beauty products that I never use. 

Most of the excess that I have are hand-me-downs from my mother.  She loves to try new things and has blessed me with her leftovers through the years.  While I'm so grateful to her for the gesture, I realize that most of it goes unused.   

The Simple Life
I've been feeling overwhelmed with all the things in our home lately.  I'm longing for a simpler life but this clutter is making my home feel anything but simple. 

I wouldn't consider myself a pack rat.  Especially after seeing some of the "pack rat" shows on television.  This isn't a money issue for me as I'm not a girl that loves to shop.  It's not causing us financial hardship to have all of these things.  But still I can't help but think that I've got too much stuff in my home. 

I've been asking myself why I hold on to things that I don't use and will likely never use.  I'm not sure I have a solid answer, other than I keep thinking I might use it someday.  Somehow it feels wrong to just get rid of the stuff.  Perhaps there is a deeper underlying issue.  Maybe I hold onto things because they give me a sense of security somehow.

My challenge to me!


So, I'm challenging myself to cut back on my stuff.  I will give away what I can so I don't feel wasteful.  I think I will be better for it.  It'll be great not to have to dig around in my cabinets and closets to find what I need. 

I'll update you soon with photos of my uncluttered cabinets and closets.  Give me some feedback and let me know how you decide what to keep and what to get rid of.  Are you a minimalist or a pack rat?

No comments:

Post a Comment