Pages

.

Truly Amazing Homemade Dishwasher Detergent


Okay, here is the skinny of it - I've completely stopped using my dishwasher since the manufacturers took out that amazing chemical(s) called phosphates.  I know, it's bad for streams or something like that but my dishes were horrible when I used the phosphate-free stuff! 


So, much to my children's dismay, we've been hand washing our dishes for nearly a year now.  It wouldn't be so bad but we have a big family PLUS we operate a daycare in our home.  This translates into a LOT of dishes!  I've been telling my kids that it's not so bad but secretly, I've been not liking the hand washing method so much either.

Lately, I've been on a search for less expensive, more natural homemade cleaning product recipes.  I've found a laundry soap recipe I really like.  I tweaked a homemade softener recipe until I felt satisfied with it.  I found a scouring powder recipe that I changed ever so slightly and think it's nice.  But nothing compares to my excitement over the homemade dishwasher detergent recipe I found on DIYNatural.com


Simple Effective Jabs Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

As usual, I didn't have all the ingredients so I had to change it just a bit.  The original recipe in the above referenced recipe called for Kosher salt and citric acid.  Also the amounts were different.

(Click HERE for updates/reviews on all my homemade cleaners)
I made my dishwasher detergent like this -


Mix equal parts salt, Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, and Borax
(I used 1/3 cup each just to make a small amount)
 

Mix well and store in airtight container  Use as you would any powdered commercially available dishwasher detergent.  I also put vinegar in the "jet dry" compartment to help as a rinsing agent.
 

Two of my girls holding a still damp bowl from the dishwasher.  The youngest is just happy but the older of the two is smiling  because the bowl is clean and NOT greasy! 
To her, this means Mom will stop making them hand wash all of the dishes! 
This is great news to a 10 year old!!! This is  great news to Mom too!
I must say, I've been pretty excited about my new discoveries lately but this tops all!  I wanted to post this tonight so I didn't take the time to figure the cost but I suspect it will be much cheaper than store bought dishwasher detergent.  I'll figure it out soon and post a follow up.  

I do hope you'll let me know if you try this recipe and how it works for you!

P.S. I've had some folks say that they couldn't find Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.   I did find mine at Walmart but you can order it online as well.

You can also order supplies online ~

Church & Dwight Co 03020 Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

Dial Corp. 00368 20 Mule-Team Borax Laundry Booster

To read more great tips from Matt and Betsy Jabs check out their book ~

DIY Natural Household Cleaners: How To Make Your Own Cleaners Naturally.

* Update -

Since I originally published this article,  I've had several friends suggest adding trisodium phosphate to the detergent.  Apparently a teaspoon or so added to each wash eliminates the buildup and greasy gunk left behind from the phosphate free detergent.  This would make sense as trisodium phosphate is PHOSPHATE!!!  It is my understanding that while it is illegal for phosphate detergent to be sold, it isn't illegal to use them.  I know that you can purchase it here -  Savogran 10622 Trisodium Phosphate (TSP).  I would think that a box this size would go a long way if you are only using less than a teaspoon per wash. 

Yet another update ~ We moved to a new house with very hard water.  My detergent just wasn't cutting it so I caved in and tried the trisodium phosphate.  See the results here.

Another product that I've heard great things about is Lemi-shine. I think that it is citric acid and you just add it to your dishwasher each load.  It is phosphate free so you could use it with good conscience.  You can find it here - Lemi Shine Original (12 oz)

No comments:

Post a Comment