Pages

.

Contact Paper "Frosted Look" Window Covering



I have a love/hate relationship with the window over my kitchen sink.  While the view is great, there is very little privacy.  I'm not big on curtains as I love letting the natural lighting in.    Window film is expensive and being the cheapskate that I am, I figured I could find a less expensive way to accomplish the look I wanted.  I decided to give clear Con-Tact Brand liner a try.  I'm pleased with the results and the price.  It was easy enough that anyone could complete this project.

I love the view from my kitchen sink and didn't want to
cover the window with blinds or shades. Unfortunately
my front porch is also part of the view.  This translates into
no privacy in my kitchen. 



A few tips for this project~
  • Be sure your window is clean prior to applying Con-Tact liner. 
  • If you are applying large panels at a time, I've heard that Windex can be sprayed on the glass first and it will help you move the liner around until it is in the position you want it in.
  • There may be a less time consuming way to complete this project.  My husband suggested that I apply entire panels, then cut out the pieces I want removed.  I'm going to try his method soon and post the results.  Although this project was super easy, it did take a large part of my afternoon and my entire evening (minus interruptions) to complete.  
  • Consider other shapes to decorate your window with.  I chose the diamond pattern for the simple clean lines but I think it would be interesting to try some other designs. 
Instead of spending a ton on window film, I decided to use
ordinary clear Con-Tact brand adhesive liner to "frost"
my window.  It cost about $5.50 at my local grocery store.
If your store doesn't carry it, you can purchase it online.

We traced out tons of diamond shapes and cut them out.

I applied the diamonds to my window using a
debit card to smooth out bubbles. 

The finished product - a window with semi-privacy that
still allows light into the room! I think I like it and I love
the cost savings over the window films that I priced!






















Close up in the morning light



Full view in the morning light
 

No comments:

Post a Comment